Skye: You have the right to:
- Feel the way you feel about your parents splitting up.
- Share and talk about your feelings.
- Ask questions about what is going to happen and why.
- Love and be loved by both parents.
- Feel safe.
- Talk to someone if you need help.
- Not take sides.
- Not carry messages between your parents.
- Not hear your parents say bad things about each other.
- Not have grown-up worries.
It is your responsibility to:
- Show your feelings in a way that doesn’t hurt other people or things.
- Speak up if your parents are asking you to do things that don’t feel right.
- Ask for help if you need it.
It is your parents’ responsibility to:
- Take care of you and keep you safe even though they live apart.
- Let you spend time with both parents and others who are important to you.
- Listen to what you say, even if they can’t always do what you want them to.
- Answer important questions when you ask, such as where you are going to live, or how you will spend time with each of them.
- Talk to each other with respect in front of you.
- Talk to each other about the things that involve you.