Families Change Kids Guide to Separation & Divorce

You are here


Neel: There are lots of people around you who can help you deal with your parents’ separation.

Sometimes, just talking to a friend can help a lot, especially if his or her parents have also split up.

You can also talk to an adult you trust, like:

  • A relative (an aunt or uncle, or your grandmother or grandfather).
  • Your teacher.
  • Your school counsellor.
  • Someone at your place of worship.
  • Your family doctor.

These people can help by:

  • Just listening.
  • Suggesting things you can do to make things better.
  • Giving you the names of other people who can help.

Here are some numbers you can call if you need some help and don’t know who to reach out to.

  • Call the Kids Help Phone for free from anywhere in Canada, at 1-800-668-6868. You can also visit the Kids Help Phone website.
  • Yukon Crisis Prevention “Youth Against Violence”: 1-800-680-4264
  • Many Rivers “Youth Outreach Program”: (867) 667-2970